Fourth Grade Journey

A Fourth Grade Teacher's Journey Through the World of Books

Monday, March 28, 2022

Consider the Octopus by Nora Raleigh Baskin and Gae Polisner

How I Heard About It:
*Nora and Gae are two of my favorite authors, and people.  I have had the pleasure of getting to know them over the last several years.  As I was looking through NetGalley for books to download for spring break, I came across their upcoming middle-grade novel and added to my electronic "pile" of books to read.  The novel will be released on April 5, 2022.


What It Is About - FIVE Things You Need to Know:
*Meet Jeremy, JB, who is excited for the summer before seventh grade.

*Meet Sidney, who is not so excited about summer because her best friend isn't going to be around.

*Jeremy ends up on a research ship with his mother researching the "Great Pacific Garbage Patch".

*After a series of mistakes and mishaps, Sidney also ends up on the same research ship, but isn't sure she is supposed to be there.

*Once these two young people join forces, they not only set out to change the issues in the Pacific, but also in their own personal lives.  


What I Thought Of It - Five Observations/Reflections:
*I was first struck by the "set-up" of the novel.  It was different, fun, and engaging.

*The alternating points of view was an appealing aspect of the story.

*JB and Sidney were two of the most enjoyable and big-hearted characters from a middle-school novel.

*Nora and Gae have written a fun-filled story with an important world issue.  I wouldn't think that is easy to do, but they pulled it off.

*I didn't know much about synchronicity, but it sure was fun to read and learn about.


Who Should Read It:
*This will be the perfect story for readers in grades three through six, along with all middle-school readers.  I love when a story can reach a wide audience and each reader will take something different and special from the experience.  Happy Reading!  


Rating:
   4 STARS out of 5 Stars

1 comment: