Fourth Grade Journey

A Fourth Grade Teacher's Journey Through the World of Books

Saturday, March 12, 2022

Across the Desert by Dusti Bowling

How I Heard About It:
*I can't believe how long it took me to read this book.  I am a huge fan of Dusti's and have been following the praise and positive reviews for quite some time.  I just never got around to read the story, but now that I have, I'm so glad I did.  


What It Is About - FIVE Things You Need to Know:
*Jolene is twelve years old, doesn't have many friends, and has a secret at home.

*"Addie Earhart" is also a loner who loves to fly an ultralight plane.

*The two girls don't know each other, but are connected through a "live stream".

*While watching Addie flew, Jolene is the only person to witness a crash that puts Addie in harm.

*Jolene makes a rash decision, to sneak out, and travel miles and miles to be the one to rescue her one true friend.


What I Thought Of It - Five Observations/Reflections:

*Dusti has a way with words, putting them together on a page, and sucking the reader in.

*This was a great adventure story with so much heart behind the action.

*Three young girls were presented in completely different ways, but showed the strength and determination that many young females possess.

*As with some other adventure stories, I sometimes had a hard time believing everything that was happening, but just had to remind myself, the story is FICTION.

*I can see young readers, especially girls, being drawn into the world of Jolene and Addie.


Who Should Read It:
*I think female readers in grades four through six would be the perfect audience for Across the Desert.  I'm not excluding other readers, but just focusing in on a target audience.  If you as an adult have read Bowling's earlier works, you need to be this on your TBR list.  Happy Reading!


Rating:
   4 STARS out of 5 Stars


No comments:

Post a Comment