Fourth Grade Journey

A Fourth Grade Teacher's Journey Through the World of Books

Sunday, August 25, 2013

A Valiant Quest for The Misfit Menagerie by Jacqueline Resnick...


How I Heard About It:  My fourth grade book club called "Breakfast with Books" read The Daring Escape of the Misfit Menagerie by Jacqueline Resnick this past school year.  That was the first book in this series.  The readers loved it and we also enjoyed Skyping with the author.  I was lucky enough that the author send me the ARC of the second book in this series.  The book comes out in September.  I've had the book since this past spring and I finally got to it before heading back to school tomorrow.  It was a wonderful book to end the summer with.    

What It Is About:  The story of the "misfit menagerie" started right up where the first book left off.  Bertie and Susan continue their adventure with their four animal friends (Smalls the sun bear, Rigby the dog, Wombat the wombat, and Tilda the Angora Rabbit.)  They are on a mission to find their friend Tilda who was taken from the circus to live with Chrysanthemum and her parents the Toddle's.  During their mission Bertie ends up with two of the animals and Susan ends up with one, as they are separated.  Their goal is to make it to Toodle's Toy Emporium to rescue Tilda and reunite the menagerie.

What I Thought Of It:  I absolutely loved this second book in the series.  I can't believe I waited so long to read it.  But on the other hand, it was an excellent novel to end the summer with.  I'm actually thinking this continuation of the story of the misfit menagerie was even better than the first one.  I enjoyed reading about the developing friendship between Bertie, Susan, and the animals.  I liked that the story took place away from the circus and the Toy Emporium was such a creative setting.  Adding new characters to this story, added even more excitement.

Who Should Read It:  Now that I have read this second installment, I can't wait to introduce the series to my students joining me this fall.  I believe it would make an excellent read aloud.  At this point, it is going to be my second read aloud.  It is then my hope that the kids will want to read the second book on their own.  Both books are on the longer side, so the student would need to be a strong reader in fourth grade or above.  In my opinion, it would make an awesome read aloud because it is such a super story with lots of suspense, action, and intrigue.  Happy Reading!  

Rating:  5 STARS out of 5 Stars!


*A book trailer for The Daring Escape of the Misfit Menagerie (The first book in series)

No comments:

Post a Comment