Fourth Grade Journey

A Fourth Grade Teacher's Journey Through the World of Books

Friday, August 9, 2013

Like Pickle Juice on a Cookie by Julie Sternberg

How I Heard About It:  While I was teaching summer school this past July, I spent time "stalking" the library.  I always like to see what is new.  On my librarian's cart of books to be checked in for the new school year, I saw this book along with its companion book.  I grabbed both of them and brought them home to read on my own. 

What It Is About:  Eleanor is spending the summer before third grade with her beloved babysitter Bibi when she finds out the worst news ever (in her opinion).  Bibi has to move away to take care of her father.  Eleanor doesn't think life can go on without Bibi and it is as bad as "pickle juice on a cookie."  Life begins to change when a new babysitter comes into her life.  She won't ever replace Bibi, but Eleanor learns some important life lessons at a young age.  

What I Thought Of It:  This was a cute little chapter book.  The story was a simple one, but I enjoyed the writing style.  It was part novel, part prose, and at times part poetry.  There were many illustrations that added to the story.  Eleanor was an enjoyable character to read about and I think all children will be able to relate to her.  

Who Should Read It:  As I was reading this book I thought it would make a perfect chapter book for my students that might struggle with reading or not enjoy the "big" and "thick" chapter books that some of them think they need to read.  It is definitely geared toward second and third grade readers, but I know I will have some of my fourth graders pick up this book and enjoy it. 

Rating:  4 Stars out of 5 Stars! 

No comments:

Post a Comment