Fourth Grade Journey

A Fourth Grade Teacher's Journey Through the World of Books

Thursday, August 15, 2013

Tommysaurus Rex by Doug TenNapel...

How I Heard About It:  I read Cardboard last summer and loved it.  The book became a big hit in my fourth grade classroom this past year.  Many students would ask me to get Doug TenNapel's other books for our classroom collection.  When I saw this new release a few weeks ago, I knew I had to buy it! 

What It Is About:   Ely and his wonderful dog Tommy have an incredible relationship.  Unfortunately Tommy is hit and killed by a car.  Ely of course is devastated.  His parents decide to send him to his grandfather's farm to help him get over the loss.  Once at the farm, Ely encounters some bullies that live near the farm.  He also discovers a truly large animal; a dinosaur.  Ely feels like his beloved Tommy is inside this dinosaur and decides to "adopt" him as his new pet.  What follows is quite an adventure for Ely, his grandfather, and many members of the community.  

What I Thought Of It:  This graphic novel was completely enjoyable.  I thought the story line was engaging and entertaining.  There were also some valuable life lessons woven throughout the story.  Just as in Cardboard, the illustrations in this book are top-notch, colorful, and so vivid.  I know that my students are going to enjoy this story just as much as they do with Cardboard.  I'm hoping to add Ghostopolis and BadIsland to round out this graphic novel collection.  

Who Should Read It:  Being a fourth grade teacher, I thought this book was geared toward middle-grade readers.  I saw the other day on Twitter that a high-school teacher was using this book with his students.  It occurred to me that this graphic novel will appeal to a wide variety of readers.  I know my new fourth graders will eat up this book, just as my former students did this past school year. 

Rating:  5 STARS out of 5 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment