Fourth Grade Journey

A Fourth Grade Teacher's Journey Through the World of Books

Monday, April 1, 2019

Calling Me Home by Julie Kibler

How I Heard About It:  This was the latest selection for my BBC (Boy's Book Club).  Another member chose it.  I was excited because I was not familiar with the title and/or author.  I began the book on Friday and was done by Sunday afternoon.  I could not put it down.  


What It Is About - FIVE Things You Need to Know:  

1.  *Isabelle is almost ninety years old and has had a life full of stories just waiting to be told.  

2.  *Her hairdresser, Dorrie, is a thirty year old black woman with her own stories to be shared.  

3.  *These two ladies form an unlikely friendship that grows deeper and stronger during a cross-country road trip as Isabelle makes her way to a funeral.  

4.  *It is during the road trip that Isabelle shares her story with Dorrie.  Her past is filled with love, heartache, and loss.  

5.  *While spending time with Isabelle, Dorrie shares her own life stories and comes to realize what and who are truly important to her.  


What I Thought Of It - FIVE Observations/Reflections:

1.  *The story of Isabelle and Dorrie was beautifully told throughout the 322 pages of this incredible novel.  

2.  *I was drawn into Isabelle and Dorrie's stories as soon as I began the novel and found myself becoming more and more absorbed in their lives as I turned the pages.  

3.  *The mystery was whose funeral they were on the way toward was a huge draw to the overall plot, but there were times when I forgot about that aspect and just wanted to take in the "essence" of the story and what Isabelle had been through.  

4.  *I will say there were several surprised along the way and definitely one at the conclusion of the story.  

5.  *After reading, I definitely got a glimpse into the 1939 life of a young women and what was and wasn't acceptable for society at that time.  


Who Should Read It:   I would recommend this novel to any and all adult readers.  I can't imagine any reader not enjoying this fictional tale of two women and the events in their lives that bonded them forever.  Happy Reading!  


Rating:   5 STARS out of 5 Stars!



No comments:

Post a Comment