Fourth Grade Journey

A Fourth Grade Teacher's Journey Through the World of Books

Friday, April 5, 2019

Long Way Gone by Charles Martin

How I Heard About It:  While browsing for books to read over my spring break, I came across this title.  I was not familiar with the author, but based on the reviews, I added the novel to my cart.  I pretty much read the entire story yesterday.  


What It Is About - FIVE Things You Need to Know:  

1.  *The story centers around Cooper O'Connor (Peg), his father, and his love of music.  

2.  *Cooper has grown up with his father who is a tent revivalist.  His father has made a name for himself, created a large following, and has a mission to spread the word to as many people as he can.  

3.  *He has raised Cooper with some strict guidelines, but has also fostered the gift of music that Cooper has within him.  Cooper wants to reach for stardom, but his father wants him to take it slow.  At the age of eighteen, Cooper takes off for Nashville.  This is the first big mistake of many.  

4.  *Once Cooper arrives in Nashville, he learns that his dream is not going to be easily reached.  After many hardships, he wants to return home to his father, but knows he can't.  

5.  *When Cooper meets Daley, an up and coming female singer, his and her life are forever changed.  


What I Thought Of It - FIVE Observations/Reflections:

1.  *The first part of the story was a bit slow for me.  The story begins with Daley and Cooper coming together after twenty-years apart.  I wasn't sure where the story was going?

2.  *When I got to the section of the book that was a flashback to when Cooper was a young child living with his father, I became more engaged in the story.  From that point on, I was hooked.  

3.  *I thought the character of Cooper was fresh, interesting, and heart-warming.  He would be the type of guy I would want to be friends with.  Even though he had difficulties with his father, their relationship was one of a kind.  

4.  *While this was mostly a character-study novel, there were definitely a few surprises with twists and turns along the way.  These events certainly added to the overall story.  

5.  *The conclusion of the story was one of the most emotional endings I have ever read.  


Who Should Read It:   I know Charles Martin has written several novels for adults so if any of his readers have not read this particular novel, I would highly recommend it.  If it is your first Charles Martin book, then you are in for a real treat.  Happy Reading!  


Rating:   5 STARS out of 5 Stars!





No comments:

Post a Comment