Fourth Grade Journey

A Fourth Grade Teacher's Journey Through the World of Books

Sunday, April 7, 2019

The Whispers by Greg Howard

How I Heard About It:  This novel arrived in the mail yesterday.  It came to me via my Twitter #bookexpedition group.  I began the story last night and finished this afternoon.  I could NOT stop reading once I began.  


What It Is About - FIVE Things You Need to Know:  

1.  *Riley learned the story of the "Whispers" from his mother.  He fully believes in the tale and knows there is truth behind the story.  

2.  *Riley's mother disappeared four months ago, and his family has not been the same since.  Riley feels isolated from his father, and can't quite connect with his older brother.  

3.  *As much as Riley doesn't enjoy it, he needs to visit with "Detective" Frank to discuss the disappearance of his mother.  As much as he has told them the truth, everyone thinks he is withholding something about that fateful day.  

4.  *Riley feels the answer to his missing mother is in the woods with the "Whispers".  He and a couple other boys decide to "sneak" into the woods to find what Riley is looking for.  

5.  *It is during this "journey", Riley is confronted with his own story, his mother's story, and the dynamics of his family and friends.  


What I Thought Of It - FIVE Observations/Reflections:

1.  *One of my most favorite things in life is starting a novel that I know nothing about.  It is especially fun when the story turns out to be top-notch.  That is exactly what happened during the last twenty-four hours.  

2.  *I was immediately drawn into the world of Riley and what he was experiencing.  

3.  *The mystery of Riley's missing mother was the initial factor that drew me in, but then I became attached to Riley, his family, and close friends.  I felt like I was right there with them all.  

4.  *This was a touching, soft, and sensitive story.  It will be absolutely perfect for certain readers who may or may not be experiencing certain life experiences like Riley did.  

5.  *There are so many wonderful and incredible life-lessons strewn throughout the pages of the novel.  So many great topics to discuss and talk about.  


Who Should Read It:   I kept thinking about this question while reading the book.  At first I thought it might be for the middle-grade reader, but as I went further and further into the story, I began to think the story might be better suited for the older elementary reader and/or middle-school reader.  There are some mature themes throughout the pages.  In my opinion, I would recommend the novel for readers in grades five and above.  Adult readers that love middle-grade stories, MUST read the book.  Happy Reading!  


Rating:   5 STARS out of 5 Stars!

No comments:

Post a Comment