Fourth Grade Journey

A Fourth Grade Teacher's Journey Through the World of Books

Monday, April 1, 2019

Heroine by Mindy McGinnis

How I Heard About It:  I always try to have a young-adult novel in my pocket.  I have no problem finding middle-grade and/or adult novels to read, but sometimes I'm at a loss for young-adult.  After reading several reviews on GoodReads about this novel, I knew I had to experience the story.  I downloaded it via Audible and listened while on my commute to and from school.  


What It Is About - FIVE Things You Need to Know:  

1.  *Mickey has it all going for herself.  She is in her senior year, a star softball player, and college bound most likely on a softball scholarship.  

2.  *When she and another player on the team are in a serious car accident, Mikey finds herself in the hospital with injuries that could affect her softball career.  

3.  *Her doctors prescribe Oxycontin, which in the beginning takes away the pain she is experiencing.  Mickey then transitions from taking the pills for pain to taking them because they make her feel good.  

4.  *Each day Mickey tries NOT to take the pills, but finds it more and more difficult.  She continues to heal physically, while her emotional recovery goes in the wrong direction.  

5.  *Mickey is able is play during the softball season, but she begins to spend more time with a different crowd, finds herself moving from the pills to other substances, and puts her entire future at risk in more ways than one.  


What I Thought Of It - FIVE Observations/Reflections:

1.  *The audio version of the story was top-notch, engaging, and very good!  

2.  *There were many mornings when I arrived at my school parking lot, that I sat for several minutes because I couldn't stop listening to the story.  I'm sure there were staff members wondering why Mr. Andrus was just sitting in his car.  

3.  *What struck me most was how a solid student and athlete could go from being at the top of her game, to finding herself running off the softball field and "hiding" in the portable bathroom next to the field.  

4.  *The story was real, raw, and authentic.  I had many cringe-worthy moments while listening because of the events that unfolded throughout the pages of the story.  The author didn't sugar-coat anything that happened to Mickey.  I appreciated that.  

5.  *It was disturbing to see how far a young adult would go to hide her addiction and the level to which she would succumb to in order to fulfill her desires for the pain relief.  


Who Should Read It:   This is an important novel.  As I mentioned above, it can be very real and raw during several scenes, so I would recommend the book for high school readers and above.  It could be a great resource for someone who has experienced a similar situation or knows someone who has.  Happy Reading.  


Rating:   5 STARS out of 5 Stars



No comments:

Post a Comment