Fourth Grade Journey

A Fourth Grade Teacher's Journey Through the World of Books

Monday, April 8, 2019

Pay Attention Carter Jones by Gary D. Schmidt

How I Heard About It:  This new novel from Gary Schmidt came to me via the publisher.  I was excited to read it as I have read some of his other works of fiction and enjoyed the stories.  


What It Is About - FIVE Things You Need to Know:  

1.  *Carter is living with his mother and a slew of sisters.  He is about to start a new school year.  His father is overseas serving his country.  

2.  *On a very chaotic morning, Carter opens their front door to find an official English butler named Mr. Bowles-Fitzpatrick.  

3.  *Carter and his family learn that this butler has been sent to them as a gift and he is there to serve their every need and want.  

4.  *At first Carter isn't quite sure how this butter showing up and trying to teach him the proper English ways, but after awhile he doesn't mind his presence.  

5.  *As Carter deals with school, his busy family, and the absence of his father, he relies more and more on Mr. Bowles-Fitzpatrick while learning a whole lot about himself.  


What I Thought Of It - FIVE Observations/Reflections:

1.  *The start-up of the novel was fun, fast, and engaging.  I was curious as to why this butler has shown up on the steps of Carter and his family's house.  

2.  *The reading was enjoyable and I got a kick out of Mr. Bowles-Fitzpatrick and all of the great lessons he instilled upon Carter and his family.  

3.  *As I got further into the story and the focus became more and more about the sport of cricket, I found myself not as interested in the story.  

4.  *There were plenty of great life-lessons woven throughout the story.  

5.  *I did enjoy how the author was able to bring in some serious life-events while keeping the overall mood/tone light and fun.  


Who Should Read It:   I'm thinking the book would be best suited for readers in grades four, five, and six.  If for some reason, you know readers who play and/or enjoy cricket, then this is definitely the story for them.  The book would also be great for middle-school readers.  Happy Reading!  


Rating:   3 STARS out of 5 Stars!


No comments:

Post a Comment