Fourth Grade Journey

A Fourth Grade Teacher's Journey Through the World of Books

Wednesday, August 7, 2019

Sorry For Your Loss by Jessie Ann Foley

How I Heard About It:  While looking for a young-adult novel online I ran across this title.  After reading several reviews, I bought a copy and had it mailed to me.  I finished this story late last night.  


What It Is About - FIVE Things You Need to Know:  
1.  *Pup is the youngest child of eight siblings.  He typically tries to fly under the radar and just "squeak" by.  

2.  *His large family continues to deal with the loss of Patrick, one of the eight siblings.  They each are handling the loss in their own way.  




3.  *Pup is barely passing his high-school classes and has been given one final chance to "UP" his grade in an art class.  After taking a photo of one of his brothers passed out on the roof of their home, his life is about to take a turn.

4.  *Slowly Pup begins to show an interest in photography and representing his life/situation through the images he captures on film.  

5.  *Not only does Pup have to deal with family issues, he encounters a stumble or two with his peers at school.  


What I Thought Of It - Five Observations/Reflections:
1.  *Even though the novel is slated as young-adult, I felt it almost read as an adult novel.  It certainly could meet the needs of both audiences.  

2.  *Pup was one special young man that unfortunately was dealt a poor hand and wasn't quite sure on how to play that hand.  

3.  *Being from a family with only one sibling, I'm always fascinated when I read about large families and their interactions.  

4.  *The story was definitely a character study, but there were a few plot "surprises" along the way.

5.  *One, of many, strength in the book was the relationship between Pup and his older brother Luke. In some ways, Pup almost played the role of the older sibling.  


Who Should Read It:    As I mentioned, this is promoted as a young-adult novel, but I could see both adults and high-school readers enjoying the personal journey of Pup and his family.  Happy Reading!  


Rating:   4 STARS out of 5 Stars!

No comments:

Post a Comment