Fourth Grade Journey

A Fourth Grade Teacher's Journey Through the World of Books

Wednesday, August 21, 2019

Wonder Wednesday #279 (New York Adventure)

Wonder Wednesday - A New Venture

*Last night, I returned from three days in the "Big Apple".  I traveled to the city for a meeting, but was also able to fit in some "tourist" time.


*A few weeks ago, I received an invitation from Penguin Random House Publishers to be a member of  their "Elementary Advisory Board" for this inaugural year.

*As an educator, I have not had many opportunities to travel during my twenty-nine year teaching career.  I was thrilled when I was invited and couldn't wait to find out what this advisory board was all about.

*My flight was early Sunday morning.  Upon my arrival, I had a bit of time to venture out and play "tourist".  I walked down to Times Square and took in all the ACTION.  After a few hours of sight-seeing, it was time to get ready for the opening dinner with the other educators and several members of the Penguin Random House staff.

*We had a lovely dinner with lots of great discussion about books, teaching, and the publishing world.

*Monday morning was the BIG day.  We all met at the headquarters for a full day of conversation, discussion, brainstorming, and sharing of ideas.  I was energized, excited, and honored to be a part of this group.

*After our meeting, I jumped on board the "tour bus" and took in more sights.  Since it was a twenty-four hour pass, I was able to use the bus again on Tuesday morning.  My main stop was the 9/11 Memorial.  This was quite an emotional visit and hard to take it all in.

*The three days ended with a very long wait on the tarmac to head back to Minnesota.

*This advisory board will remain in tack for the next year with an option to extend after the first year.

*I'm thrilled that PRH wants to connect their exceptional books to the classrooms around the country.  They care about the work we are doing as educators and want our young people to be reading as much as possible.  I couldn't agree more.

*As my summer 2019 is coming to an end, I couldn't think of a more perfect way to spend three days.

*Here are some images of my time in New York City...

No comments:

Post a Comment