Fourth Grade Journey

A Fourth Grade Teacher's Journey Through the World of Books

Saturday, August 17, 2019

An Inside Look #100 (Author INTERVIEW)

An Inside Look with Elly Swartz
(Author of Give and Take)

*During the summer of 2016, I added this feature to the blog which was called "Season #ONE".  This first season ran from June of 2016 to March of 2017.  

*I started up the interviews again in June of 2017.  It was great to get back to Season #TWO.  This season ran throughout the summer.  


*Season #THREE ran during the school year of 2017-2018.  


*The next season (season #FOUR) of interviews took place during the summer and fall of 2018.  With each interview I became more and more impressed with the authors I was having interactions with.  


*Season #FIVE ran during the 2018/2019 school year.  I took a little break during June of 2019.


*I'm thrilled to be back with season #SIX featuring all new books, authors, and conversations.  


*It has been such an honor to connect with authors and "chat" about their novel, characters, and thoughts about the story.

*This is the NINTH interview of what I'm calling Season #SIX.

*Thank you to Elly Swartz for being the One Hundredth author that I've had the pleasure of interviewing.  I truly appreciate it.  

*I'm thrilled to feature her as my 100th interview post because this feature started with Elly and her first novel Finding Perfect.  If it wasn't for her YES, this series of interviews would never have been possible. 


*Here are links to the first Ninety-Nine interviews…


SEASON #ONE (2016-2017)

























SEASON #FOUR (Summer 2018)






















SEASON #FIVE (2018/2019)










Interview #81 with Tony Abbott (Author of The Great Jeff)

Interview #82 with Susan Ross (Author of Searching for Lottie)

Interview #83 with Gillian McDunn (Author of Caterpillar Summer)

Interview #84 with Rebecca Ansari (Author of The Missing Piece of Charlie O'Reilly)

Interview #85 with Ali Standish (Author of August Isle)

Interview #86 with Shaun David Hutchinson (Author of The Past and Other Things That Should Stay Buried)

Interview #87 with Greg Howard (Author of The Whispers)

Interview #88 with Lynda Mullaly Hunt (Author of Shouting at the Rain)

Interview #89 with Lynda Mullaly Hunt (Author of One for the Murphys)

Interview #90 with Laurie Morrison (Author of Up for Air)

Interview #91 with Jody J. Little (Author of Mostly the Honest Truth)



SEASON #SIX (Summer 2019)

Interview #92 with John David Anderson (Author of Finding Orion)

Interview #93 with Lisa Thompson (Author of The Light Jar)

Interview #94 with Keith Calabrese (Author of A Drop of Hope)

Interview #95 with Alicia D. Williams (Author of Genesis Begins Again)

Interview #96 with Kim Ventrella (Author of Bone Hollow)

Interview #97 with Natalie Lloyd (Author of Over the Moon)

Interview #98 with Cynthia Lord (Author of Because of the Rabbit)

Interview #99 with Tina Athaide (Author of Orange for the Sunsets)



*Elly Swartz was kind, gracious, and giving with her answers to the questions.  It is an honor to post her responses here on the blog. 

*Thank you Elly for writing this incredible and thought-provoking book.

*Here is my book review...


Give and Take Book Review


Give and Take
by Elly Swartz (October 15, 2019)



        What do you think is Maggie's most admirable quality?
To me, Maggie’s ability to love big is her most admirable quality. She loves deeply. And that is why it’s so hard for her to let go. Of Nana. Of Baby Izzie. Of things. She doesn’t want the love to disappear like she did on the Forgot Me Day with Nana. She wants to hold onto that feeling that wraps her like her favorite blue afghan.




Is there anything you wish Maggie would have changed or done differently in her story?
I wish Maggie knew from the start that love imprints on your heart. It doesn’t leave. Or disappear. As Gramps says, “… life’s filled with give and take. Details fade. Or even erase entirely. But love never leaves. It carves into your heart. It’s a forever thing.” p. 133.



What do you think Maggie can offer other children who are experiencing similar situations to what she went through?  
I hope Maggie helps kids realize their anxiety doesn’t define them.
I hope they realize they’re brave. And strong.
I hope they realize they’re not alone.
I hope they realize there’s help.
I hope they realize we all need the kindness, wisdom, and friendship of others.
I hope they realize “we can all make the world brighter. One little thing at a time.” p. 76



How did you research Maggie and the circumstances she  found herself in?
There was a tremendous amount of research that went into this story. Understanding and authentically representing Maggie’s anxiety and hoarding, and the manifestation and treatment were the result of endless research and consults with Dr. Kathleen Trainer who graciously gave of her time and knowledge. Dr. Trainer is a psychologist and has treated children and adolescents with anxiety-based disorders for more than thirty years. She is a senior psychologist on the staff of the Child Psychiatry Clinic at Massachusetts General Hospital, holds a master’s degree in social work and a doctorate in clinical psychology. She is also the author of the book, Calming Your Anxious Child: Words to Say and Things to Do. Dr. Trainor vetted Maggie’s story several times to be sure the portrayal was authentic and accurate. 

Additionally, the elements of the book that focused on short-term fostering were also thoroughly researched. I worked with Amy Cohen, LICSW, the executive director of Adoptions With Love. Amy shared the process and experiences of short-term foster care from all perspectives. I also spoke with families who took in babies awaiting adoption and couples who adopted. All graciously shared their experiences. Below is a picture of me holding one of the beautiful babies awaiting adoption. A bundle of sweetness who smelled like powder. And love.


Trap shooting was another aspect of this story I needed to learn about and research. The kindness of the Hot Shots team and coach at Fin Fur and Feather in Millis, Massachusetts was greatly appreciated. They, along with one very kind trapshooting family, taught me about the rules and sport of trap. I even got to give it a try. And I’m happy to share, I actually hit the clay target! Once!

And even Bert the Turtle was well researched with the help of Dr. Greg Mertz, the chief executive officer of the New England Wildlife Center. I visited this amazing animal center, met a few Eastern Painted Turtles, and got lessons on where they live, what they eat, and how fast they truly are.

To me, all great fiction has its roots in seeds of truth. So it’s important that all those seeds are thoroughly understood and respectfully conveyed and researched.



Do you and Maggie share any similarities?
Just like Maggie, “I don’t love in tiny doses.” p. 81



What were the hardest scenes to write about Maggie?
There were a few scenes I found difficult to write. One was between Maggie and her mom that ended in tears and a green bathmat being tossed across the room. I can’t say more about the content of this scene without spoiling the story, but I can share that writing it made me cry. Maggie was hurting. And angry and scared. She didn’t realize things were out of her control until she saw them through her mother’s lens.

Another scene that was hard to write was the one where Maggie says goodbye to Baby Izzie. Her love for this baby who smells like powder runs deep. And letting go breaks her heart into a million tiny pieces.

The last part of GIVE AND TAKE that was challenging to write was when Maggie recounted her second worst day. I drew on my own experiences to write this scene. 24 years ago my mom was diagnosed with lung cancer and died 4 months later at the age of 55. Maggie’s experience at the funeral was mine. The cold room. The beige everything. The sadness that blanketed my whole body. Even now, when I’m almost the age my mom was when we said our forever goodbye, the pain of that moment feels so real. And raw. And hard to write.



Who do you think was Maggie's biggest supporter and why?
Her family.

 Maggie’s parents love her. Unconditionally. And will do whatever it takes to help her heal her heart and discover and accept all of her.

And her brothers. I love Charlie and his random facts so much. I also love his honesty. Like when he tells Maggie, “I don’t like when you yell at me with your red face.” And later adds, “I forgive you. But I’m still a little sad about it.” p. 60 It is in his willingness to be so open and honest, that you feel his love for his big sister on the page. Dillon, is not willing to share his feelings like Charlie. But when Bert goes missing and when Charlie and Maggie are making cards, his actions say – I love you.



Why do you think young people, like Maggie, fall into secrets and/or undesirable behaviors, instead of reaching out for help?
I think there sadly remains a stigma and stereotype around mental health and wellness, so kids and adults are reticent to share. They often feel scared and worried and vulnerable. My hope is that books start conversations so kids can see themselves on the page and realize they’re not alone. They’re not their anxiety or their invisible challenge. They’re strong and brave. And wonderful. Just the way they are.



What do you think Maggie is doing at the present time?  
Listening to her newest playlist which kicks-off with Rachel Platten’s Fight Song.



One more thing to share...
I want to thank all the librarians and educators for all their hard work, dedication, and commitment every day. You are making a difference. And I am most grateful. 

As a way of sharing my gratitude, I’ll be giving away a class set of GIVE AND TAKE on Twitter! One educator or librarian will receive 25 copies! Stay tuned for details on Twitter.

Bio...

Maggie’s Playlist on Spotify

Me reading Chapter 1 of GIVE AND TAKE

Where to pre-order GIVE AND TAKE

MacKidsSL and MacKidsBooks

No comments:

Post a Comment