Fourth Grade Journey

A Fourth Grade Teacher's Journey Through the World of Books

Thursday, August 22, 2019

The Next Great Paulie Fink by Ali Benjamin

How I Heard About It:   After reading The Thing About Jellyfish, I couldn't wait to see what Ali would write next.  I was thrilled when I saw that she had a new novel out.  The title and cover were outstanding.  Once I began to see all the positive reviews, I knew I had to get my hands on the book.  


What It Is About - FIVE Things You Need to Know:  
1.  *It is difficult to begin a new middle-school, but even more of a challenge when there are only ten students in the entire seventh grade class.  That is the position Caitlyn is facing.



2.  *The day Caitlyn arrives at her new school, the ten "originals" are freaking out because Paulie Fink is a no show and they don't know where he is or what has happened to him.

3.  *As Caitlyn tries to adjust, fit in, and figure out her new school; all she hears about is Paulie Fink.  

4.  *As the days progress and there is no sign off Paulie, the seventh graders decide to run their own reality show to find "The Next Great Paulie Fink".  

5.  *Caitlyn is put in charge of the reality show.  While doing so she learns about Paulie, her classmates, their interactions, and mostly herself.


What I Thought Of It - Five Observations/Reflections:
1.  *I must say that I absolutely adored this story!  

2.  *One of the aspects I enjoyed most was the "format" of the pages.  The book was divided up into "regular" chapters, interviews, and a few letters.  


3.  *The premise of the plot was fresh, unique, and completely engaging.  

4.  *Caitlyn's story was mostly about her time at the new school, but Ali Benjamin did a tremendous job of capturing Caitlyn's past at her former school with her former friends.  This was such a strong part of the entire story.  

5.  *The cast of characters were authentic, heart-warming, and full of seventh grade LIFE.  Not only was the story fun and a wild ride; but there were many important life lessons and themes presented throughout the pages of the novel.  


Who Should Read It:    Readers in grades four, five, and six would be ideal for Ali's newest novel.  Of course the middle-school crowd should also be considered.  Since the story is set in seventh grade, I'm sure those readers would eat this "stuff" up.  Well done, Ali!  Happy Reading...


Rating:   5 STARS out of 5 Stars!


No comments:

Post a Comment