Fourth Grade Journey

A Fourth Grade Teacher's Journey Through the World of Books

Friday, October 18, 2019

All the Impossible Things by Lindsay Lackey

How I Heard About It:  It seems there are certain novels that I notice get lots of positive praise and high reviews.  For some reason, I don't rush into reading the book.  That is what happened with this story.  For months I've been seeing and hearing about this incredible story.  As I was packing books to bring on my fall Maine trip, I grabbed this one.  I'm sure glad I did.  


What It Is About - FIVE Things You Need to Know:  
1.  *Ruby (Red) hasn't had the easiest of times.  Her mother is in prison and her grandmother passed away from cancer.  These two life events have left Red in the foster care system.


2.  *She has had enough and isn't thrilled when she ends up with foster parents Celine and Jackson.  They are older and live with a BUNCH of animals.  In fact, they own a petting zoo.  

3.  *Slowly, but surely, Red begins to adjust to her new life with her foster parents.  Her living situation improves when she meets a wonderful boy name Marvin.  The two of them begin a special friendship.  

4.  *All is going well until Celine shares with Red, that Red's mother is out of prison.  Not only does she share this piece of information, but also some shocking and hurtful news.  

5.  *Red is torn from the life she knew, and hoped for, and the life she she believes she can have with a "new" family.  


What I Thought Of It - Five Observations/Reflections:
1.  *As soon as I began the story, I was angry with myself for waiting so long to read this story.  The plot pulled me from page one and didn't let go until I closed the book.

2.  *Red (Ruby) was a character that I rooted for, felt for, and wanted the best for.  She really came to life and jumped off the page.  

3.  *I'm a fan of short chapters, both for middle-grade and adult novel, and the format of the novel was absolutely perfect.  The reading always left me wanting ONE more chapter.  

4.  *Celine and Jackson were two characters that I would love to have in my own life. Everyone deserves a couple like them.  They brought tears to my eyes on more than one occasion.  

5.  *In my opinion, I thought the telling of Red's mother story was real, authentic, and raw.  Not always easy to read, but an accurate portrayal of a person dealing with real-life "issues".



Who Should Read It:
I would love to put this book into the hands of many of my fourth grade readers.  Fifth and sixth grade children would also be perfect for Lackey's novel.  If you know of readers who are foster children, or have been, would most likely be able to relate to Red and what she experienced.  Happy Reading!  


Rating:   5 STARS out of 5 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment