Fourth Grade Journey

A Fourth Grade Teacher's Journey Through the World of Books

Tuesday, October 29, 2019

Maybe a Mermaid by Josephine Cameron

How I Heard About It:  I've had this novel in my house for quite some time.  It seemed to get passed by when I was looking for the next middle-grade novel.  Before I headed to Maine for a mini-fall vacation, I grabbed it and put it in my backpack.  


What It Is About - FIVE Things You Need to Know:  
1.  *Anthoni, a girl, isn't your typical eleven-year old girl.  

2.  *She and her mother have always had to work hard to make ends meet.

3.  *When her mother "lies" to her about why they will be spending the summer elsewhere, Anthoni isn't sure what to think.

4.  *Anthoni decides she is going to find a "true best friend" while spending the summer in a new town near a broken down resort.  

5.  *When she learns the truth about her mother, Anthoni is quite upset, but decides to channel her energy into friendship and the "rumors" of the local mermaid. 


What I Thought Of It - Five Observations/Reflections:
1.  *This beautiful story matched the beautiful cover.

2.  *I enjoyed Anthoni's story and what she had to experience both with her mother and her friends.

3.  *The "mystery" of the mermaid was a driving force of the narrative but not the entire story and I appreciated that.  

4.  *The quest for a true friendship was both heart-warming and authentic.  

5.  *The writing was excellent and the characters shown bright through both their actions and words.  


Who Should Read It:
I would say this novel could be shared with readers in grades three and above.  If you know of a particular reader who has a "love" for mermaids, this may be the story for them.  I would also say the book could be used as a class red aloud.  There would be so much to discuss.  Happy Reading!  


Rating:   4 STARS out of 5 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment