Fourth Grade Journey

A Fourth Grade Teacher's Journey Through the World of Books

Thursday, October 31, 2019

Planet Earth is Blue by Nicole Panteleakos

How I Heard About It:  Another title that has been in my TBR pile for quite some time.  I'm not sure why I didn't read it earlier because it turned out to be one of my favorite stories in 2019.  


What It Is About - FIVE Things You Need to Know:  
1.  *Nova is twelve years old and doesn't speak.  

2.  *This hasn't been a problem in the past because she always had her older sister Bridget who was both a protector and support to Nova.

3.  *The two sisters shared a love of space exploration and were going to watch the launch of the Challenger together.  

4.  *When the two sisters are separated in the foster care system, Nova is still hopeful that she and her sister will be able to witness history together.  

5.  *As Nova settles in with a new foster family, new school, and new interactions; all she can really focus on is where her older sister is and when she will return.  


What I Thought Of It - Five Observations/Reflections:
1.  *The story was told in two formats; one being in third person and the other being letters that Nova wrote to her sister as the days got closer to the launch of Challenger.  This worked beautifully.  

2.  *I had such empathy and hope for Nova.  She was such a special young girl that just wanted to share her gifts with the world.  

3.  *Of course I was curious about the whereabouts of Bridget and was quite shocked when I read the climax/conclusion of the story.  

4.  *Nova's foster parents were absolutely wonderful and I hope there are actual people out in the real world just like them.  

5.  *The themes of hope, dreams, and goals were written with care, grace, and sensitivity.  


Who Should Read It:
Readers in elementary school will fall in love with Nova, her passions, and her love for both life and space.  I would say that students in grades four, five, and six would be best for the novel.  Middle-school readers will also find the book a satisfying read.  I would also recommend this title to adult readers who enjoy strong middle-grade books with strong characters and a moving plot.  Happy Reading!


Rating:   4 STARS out of 5 Stars


No comments:

Post a Comment