Fourth Grade Journey

A Fourth Grade Teacher's Journey Through the World of Books

Monday, January 18, 2021

Migrations by Charlotte McConaghy

How I Heard About It:
*I bought this novel back in August of 2020.  I saw a review and was in the market for a novel published for adults.  When the book arrived, I began reading, but then put it aside as it didn't grab my attention at the time.  I've been reading it on and off since and recently finished.  


What It Is About - FIVE Things You Need to Know:
*The story begins with Franny "working" her way onto a fishing expedition heading toward Antarctica.

*She isn't truthful with the crew of the fishing boat as to why she wants to join them.

*As they make their way south, both the crew and Franny realize they all have their personal reasons for being on that boat.

*During the journey, there are flash backs, to Franny's earlier life with her family, her professor, and deep dark secrets.  

*Franny has portrayed herself as one person, when in reality she is someone completely different.  


What I Thought Of It - Five Observations/Reflections:
*Because it took me so long to read, you can probably gather this wasn't a page-turner for me.

*The writing was beautiful, detailed, and quite descriptive.  

*I enjoyed the startup of the story, but once the flashbacks began, I personally became confused and wasn't quite sure what was going on.

*When the "mystery" was revealed, I was drawn in again, but that didn't last for the rest of the story.  

*The plot was slow and I didn't feel like I ever really got to know the characters.


Who Should Read It:
*I'm in the minority, but this novel wasn't for me.  Based on GoodReads and Amazon, many adult readers loved the novel and gave it four and five stars.  This is definitely a story for adult readers that enjoy a well written, slower paced fiction story.  Happy Reading!  


Rating:
  
STARS out of 5 Stars



No comments:

Post a Comment