Fourth Grade Journey

A Fourth Grade Teacher's Journey Through the World of Books

Monday, January 4, 2021

The Adventure is Now by Jess Redman

How I Heard About It:
*I first came to know of Jess Reman when I came across her first novel, The Miraculous.  I was so enthralled with the story that I chose it for a "Breakfast with Books" book club selection.  She then knocked my socks off with her second book, Quintessence.  In fact, it was my favorite middle-grade story of 2020.  I was thrilled when Jess herself sent me a "widget" to download an e-galley of her upcoming novel.  


What It Is About - FIVE Things You Need to Know:
*Meet Milton P. Greene.  The boy who is having one of the worst year's ever.


*He thinks it can't get any worse when he finds out from his parents they are sending him halfway across the world to a remote island to spend the summer with his uncle.

*Before he knows it, Milton is smack dab in the middle of an island with no electricity.  How will he survive without his electric "handheld" device?  

*Within a few days on the island, he meets three other children that don't know anything about Milton and the last year of his life.  

*Milton decides to transform himself into "Sea Hawk", put the past behind him, and venture out on the "ADVENTURE" of a lifetime.  


What I Thought Of It - Five Observations/Reflections:
*I was a bit nervous going into the story because of how much I adored Quintessence.  

*A few pages in, I realized this story wasn't Quintessence, but its own tale, and I should enjoy it for that it was, and not compare it to anything else.

*Once I did that, I was completely immersed in the story, with the characters, and all the adventure on the island.

*So often, readers complain that you can't have a solid story without a bunch of disfunction and sadness.  With this book, Jess has proven those readers wrong.  The story is a complete page turner full of fun, adventure, and true friendship.  

*I not only loved Milton because of his name, my dad's name is Milton, but because he was a tender, thoughtful, and realistic character.  


Who Should Read It:
*I don't often get to say this, but I would recommend the book for readers in grade two/three and up.  There is NOTHING questionable or too "mature" for our young middle-grade readers.  The story will make for a perfect class read aloud and/or for individuals to read.  I can't wait for Jess' third novel to arrive in the world on May 4, 2021.  Happy Reading!  


Rating:
  
STARS out of 5 Stars


No comments:

Post a Comment