Fourth Grade Journey

A Fourth Grade Teacher's Journey Through the World of Books

Sunday, January 31, 2021

Shuggie Bain by Douglas Stuart

How I Heard About It:
*After seeing a celebrity discuss the novel and then seeing the "awards" on the cover, I was ready to buy the audio version of the book and begin listening.  I started before Thanksgiving, but then we went to distance learning so I was driving as much.  Once we were back in school, I began listening again and recently finished the seventeen hour experience.


What It Is About - FIVE Things You Need to Know:
*Shuggie is a small boy living with his mother in Scotland.

*His mother is an alcoholic, can't keep a job, and isn't much of a mother for Shuggie.


*During different points in his life, Shuggie's older siblings leave the house which leaves Shuggie in charge of his mother.  

*As many times as she tries to give up the "drink", he finds her back with the bottle.

*Even as he struggles with his own issues growing up, no attention can be given because everyone and everything focuses on Angus and if she is drinking or not.  


What I Thought Of It - Five Observations/Reflections:
*This was a long read/listen, but I held in there for the entire time.  

*At times it difficult to understand what was going on or being said because of the dialect and accent.  

*I was so excited to about the story, the rave reviews, and the critical acclaim.  As I listened, I realized the story was not the type of story I am usually drawn to.  

*The story moved a bit slow for my taste and I wondered where the plot was heading.

*The writing was incredible, complex, and detailed.  This is definitely "literature" at its finest.


Who Should Read It:
*This isn't a book for everyone, but it is for a certain reader.  When you go online and look at ratings, you are going to find many five and four star reviews.  I think adults that enjoy in-depth fictional stories without a lot of "action", they definitely want to read this award winning book.  Happy Reading!  


Rating:
  
3 STARS out of 5 Stars







No comments:

Post a Comment