Fourth Grade Journey

A Fourth Grade Teacher's Journey Through the World of Books

Sunday, February 6, 2022

Honestly Elliott by Gillian McDunn

How I Heard About It:
*The ARC came to me via my #bookexpedition group.  I have loved all of Gillian McDunn's previous novels, so I was excited to read her upcoming middle-grade story.


What It Is About - FIVE Things You Need to Know:
*Elliott splits his time between his mother's house and his father and step-mom's house.  

*Each home couldn't be more different.  His mom's place is casual, cluttered, and full of "life" while his father's new home is more like a showcase or model home.

*His father and his new wife are expecting a baby and Elliott isn't sure how he feels about this.

*He already has a hard enough time navigating his world.  

*Elliott finds solace in the kitchen where he can truly be himself, but that all may change when he is partnered up with a classmate for a "cooking" project.


What I Thought Of It - Five Observations/Reflections:
*If I remember correctly, Gillian McDunn usually has a female lead character so it was fun to get to know Elliott and the people around him.

*I enjoyed Elliott's personality, choices, and view on the world.  

*As I read, I could easily visualize his surroundings and the differences between his mom and dad's places.  

*The cooking aspect was fun to read about and I'm glad Gillian presented this side of boys.

*All and all, a great and enjoyable read.  I look forward to adding a copy of the book when it comes out in April of 2022.


Who Should Read It:
*Readers in grades three through six would be perfect for the novel.  I believe it would make for a strong class read aloud or put in the hands of individual children.  Happy Reading!  



Rating:
   4 STARS out of 5 Stars




No comments:

Post a Comment