Fourth Grade Journey

A Fourth Grade Teacher's Journey Through the World of Books

Sunday, February 6, 2022

Maizy Chen's Last Chance by Lisa Yee

How I Heard About It:
*The ARC was sent to me via @PenguinRandomHouse (Random House Children's Books).  I always enjoy their middle-grade stories so I was excited to read this upcoming story.  The novel will have its book birthday in February of 2022.


What It Is About - FIVE Things You Need to Know:
*Maizy is use to living in the busy Los Angeles and all that it has to offer.

*She is surprised when her mother announces they are heading for Last Chance, Minnesota, which Maizy has never heard of.


*They are going to go to Minnesota to spend time with Maizy's grandparents because her grandfather isn't in good health.

*While in Last Chance, Maizy learns of the way her grandparents live in present day, while her grandfather shares with her a story of how their family came to America from China.

*She isn't thrilled about this small town, and what it doesn't have to offer, but finds herself in the middle of the town's cafe mystery dealing with a larger than life "bear".


What I Thought Of It - Five Observations/Reflections:
*Being that I live in Minnesota, it was fun to read about Last Chance.  

*I'm sure there are many towns in my state that resemble the fictional town of Last Chance.

*I enjoyed Maizy and her adventures in Minnesota.

*The back story of her family was one of the stronger aspects of the story.

*The characters of Last Chance and the mystery of the bear engaged me throughout the story.


Who Should Read It:
*Readers in grades three through six would be perfect for the novel.  I believe it would make for a strong class read aloud or put in the hands of individual children.  Happy Reading!


Rating:
   4 STARS out of 5 Stars



No comments:

Post a Comment