Fourth Grade Journey

A Fourth Grade Teacher's Journey Through the World of Books

Monday, February 21, 2022

Kaleidoscope by Brian Selznick

How I Heard About It:
*I have loved everything Brian Selznick has put out in the world.  I was excited to see he had a new novel out in the world.  I spent a couple of hours on my President's Day holiday reading this most unusual story.


What It Is About - FIVE Things You Need to Know:
*A series of short stories that are somewhat interconnected.

*The book is divided into three sections: Morning, Afternoon, Evening.

*Each short story includes a young boy and his "imaginary" friend James.

*As the reader progresses through the story, they get to know the narrator and James a bit more and their relationship to the world around them.

*The imagination is stretched and definitely forces the reader to do some major thinking along the way.


What I Thought Of It - Five Observations/Reflections:
*Being the huge fan of Selznick, I was excited to read his newest work.

*I realized this book was completely different from his previous books.

*To be honest, I was quite confused as I read and was trying to piece things together to make sense of the plot.

*It wasn't until I finished the book, that I learned it was a series of interconnected short stories.

*After I finished, I sat with the book and wondered to myself, "What did I just read?


Who Should Read It:
*This particular book is definitely for a certain reader.  I would say children in middle-school and up would be the best target audience.  The reader should also be a fan of short stories, open-ended story lines, and lots of unknown topics and subjects.  The imagination of the reader is definitely needed for this book.  Happy Reading!


Rating:
   5 STARS out of 5 Stars





No comments:

Post a Comment