Fourth Grade Journey

A Fourth Grade Teacher's Journey Through the World of Books

Sunday, February 20, 2022

The List of Unspeakable Fears by J. Kasper Kramer

How I Heard About It:
*Atheneum Books for Young Readers sent me this middle-grade novel.  I knew nothing of the book, but was certainly intrigued by the cover and title.  For me, it is always a pleasure to read a story that I don't know much about.


What It Is About - FIVE Things You Need to Know:
*Meet Essie who is a young girl who is afraid of everything.

*She is so afraid she even keep a list of these fears and does everything she can to avoid the items on the list.

*Essie has a reoccurring nightmare that involves a mysterious red door.

*She is especially fearful when her mother announces she has remarried and they will be moving from the Bronx to a place called North Brother Island on the East River.

*Upon arrival, Essie is haunted by her fears of the island, the people who live on the island, and the mysteries that are contained here.


What I Thought Of It - Five Observations/Reflections:
*When I first began the novel, I was fascinated by Essie, her fears, and her best friend.

*Once she and her mother arrived on the island, I found myself beginning to lose a bit of interest.

*I did keep reading.  There were parts that drew me in and other pages where my mind began to wonder.

*I'm not normally a fan of "horror" or "creepy" type stories so this may be one reason I didn't fully enjoy the story.

*I do think the writing was strong, the characters were interesting, and the plot would definitely have a certain fan base.


Who Should Read It:
*I think readers in grades five and above would be appropriate for the story.  I also think if you know of young readers who like scary type stories with lots of dark mysteries, this is definitely the book for them.  Happy Reading!  


Rating:
   5 STARS out of 5 Stars


No comments:

Post a Comment