Fourth Grade Journey

A Fourth Grade Teacher's Journey Through the World of Books

Wednesday, February 23, 2022

Notes On An Execution by Danya Kukafka

How I Heard About It:
*I searched for the best novels published for adults in 2022 and this title popped up.  I did a bit of research and decided this was definitely a story I needed to read.  I actually picked it for my BBC (Boy's Book Club).


What It Is About - FIVE Things You Need to Know:
*Ansel Packer is hours away from his own execution.

*When Ansel was quite young, his mother made an extremely difficult decision that affected the rest of his life.

*As a young man Ansel meets Jenny, and her twin sister must sit back and watch as their lives unravel.

*Saffy, is a detective, who spends much of her professional and personal life searching for Ansel and bringing him to justice. 

*These three women tell the story of how a young boy can grow into a serial killer who has been left on death row to rot.


What I Thought Of It - Five Observations/Reflections:
*Even though this story contained some pretty horrific topics, I was engaged from the moment I began listening to the last word spoken.  

*I thought the premise of telling Ansel's story through three women close to him was brilliant, different, and thoughtful.

*The characters in the story completely made the story and the alternating points of view worked spectacularly.  

*I was so drawn into the character's lives, that there were moments when my heart hurt for them.

*Reading/listening to a strong, powerful, and impactful story is one of the major joys in my life.  This novel did that for me.


Who Should Read It:
*I think all adult readers will find great satisfaction with this novel and the story will have an impact on them as it did with myself.  Happy Reading!


Rating:
   5 STARS out of 5 Stars


No comments:

Post a Comment