Fourth Grade Journey

A Fourth Grade Teacher's Journey Through the World of Books

Sunday, February 27, 2022

Now You Say Yes by Bill Harley

How I Heard About It:
*This middle-grade novel came to me via PeachTree Publishers.  I read the story for my committee work.  I knew nothing of the book, but was certainly intrigued by the cover and was excited to start something new.


What It Is About - FIVE Things You Need to Know:
*Mari began her life in the foster system and certainly doesn't want to return.

*After her adoptive mother's death, she decides it is time to pack up the car and her younger brother Conor, who is on the Autism spectrum.  

*Mari wants to get as far away from California and her mother's boyfriend as she can.  She quickly puts a plan into place to get to the east coast where their nana lives.  

*One problem with this plan is Mari is only fifteen years old and only has her driver's permit.

*This doesn't stop her from embarking on a cross-country journey that brings hardship, risk, and taking care of a young brother who isn't always easy during new and difficult situations.


What I Thought Of It - Five Observations/Reflections:
*As soon as I began the novel, I was drawn into the world of Mari and Conor.

*Once the siblings began their car "journey", I couldn't help but think this could never happen in real life.  Then I reminded myself, this was a work of FICTION.

*I let go of my "real-life" concern, and enjoyed the events that transpired while out on the open road.

*Mari and Conor met some positive influences on their road trip; however there were a few negative encounters which stressed me out as a reader.

*It was interesting to get the "back story" of Mari and her family with flashbacks while she was navigating her way from the west coast to the east coast.


Who Should Read It:
*I so enjoyed this story and think young readers will also.  Because of some language and content I would recommend the novel for readers ages ten and up.  Happy Reading!


Rating:
   4 STARS out of 5 Stars





No comments:

Post a Comment