Fourth Grade Journey

A Fourth Grade Teacher's Journey Through the World of Books

Sunday, April 2, 2023

Hello Beautiful by Ann Napolitano

How I Heard About It:
*Right before my spring break vacation to Mexico, I saw Oprah announce her 100th book club selection.  The premise sounded interesting so my wife and I ordered a copy to take with us on our trip.  I read the entire novel while sitting poolside.


What It Is About - FIVE Things You Need to Know:
*William Waters grew up in a sad and quiet household.  He found refuge in basketball.

*While playing basketball during college, he meets Julia and the two of them hit it off.

*Julia and William marry and see a bright future for their newly formed family.

*Julia has three sisters who she relies on greatly.  Sometimes William feels like he is married to all of the sisters.

*After a life-changing event, the sisters and William all try to make the best of their situations.  


What I Thought Of It - Five Observations/Reflections:
*After all the hype Oprah had for this book, I was excited to read Ann's newest work of fiction.  I had read her previous novel, Dear Edward, and really enjoyed it.

*The writing was top-notch and Ann Napolitano has quite a talent for putting a story together.

*I enjoyed reading about William and Julia's families and how they each came from different backgrounds.  

*There wasn't a whole lot of "action" and/or shocking twists/turns, but I found myself interested throughout the entire reading experience.

*Being a character driven novel, the author hit it out of the park and grabbed the reader and put them smack dab in the middle of the families' dynamics and ups and downs.


Who Should Read It:
*This is a novel for the adult reader who enjoys a well-written character driven plot.  The story is on the longer side at 400 pages, but the reading goes fast once you start.  Happy Reading!


Rating:
   4 STARS out of 5 Stars







No comments:

Post a Comment