Fourth Grade Journey

A Fourth Grade Teacher's Journey Through the World of Books

Thursday, June 3, 2021

365 Days to Alaska by Cathy Carr

How I Heard About It:
*This middle-grade novel was sent to me via the Publisher.  I had seen some incredible reviews on social media so I was excited to read.


What It Is About - FIVE Things You Need to Know:
*Rigel is eleven years old and hasn't lived a life like most young girls.

*She and her family have spent most of their lives living off the grid in Alaska.

*After her parents announce they are not going to stay together, Rigel and her sister's lives are changed forever.


*Rigel makes a "deal" with her father to give her new home a chance for 365 days.  

*She, her sisters, and mother venture to another part of the country where they experience a whole new world.  Rigel can't wait until her countdown is done.


What I Thought Of It - Five Observations/Reflections:
*The middle-grade novel was enjoyable and interesting.  

*Reading about Rigel's life in Alaska was eye-opening and fascinating.  

*As she navigated her new world on the east coast, I could feel her frustration, nerves, and anxiety.

*I enjoyed Rigel's new friendships both with people and animals.  These relationships tied Rigel's two worlds together.

*As I read toward the conclusion, I was fascinated and curious on how the 365 days would end.


Who Should Read It:
*I will definitely be adding this novel to my classroom library.  I believe readers in fourth, fifth, and sixth would be ideal for the story.  It is also in my opinion, that the story could be used as a class read aloud and/or put in the hands of individual students.  Happy Reading!


Rating:
  4 STARS out of 5 Stars






No comments:

Post a Comment