Fourth Grade Journey

A Fourth Grade Teacher's Journey Through the World of Books

Monday, June 21, 2021

The Plot by Jean Hanff Korelitz

How I Heard About It:
*This seems to be one of the summer's "buzzed" about novels published for adults.  I bought toward the end of the school year, brought it on vacation to Mexico, and had a couple wonderful full days of reading.  Quite the page turner!  


What It Is About - FIVE Things You Need to Know:

*Jacob Fitch Bonner is an author who has had one somewhat successful novel out in the world.

*As he is working on his second book, he takes a teaching job at a writer's college.

*It is here that he meets Evan Parker, a young writer, who thinks he has the next great American Novel.

*Jacob waits and waits for the release of Evan's sure-fire story, but it never comes.  He finds out that Evan has died and his story hasn't been published.

*Jacob takes the "seed" idea, writes the story and finds himself with a best seller.  He also finds more complications than he bargained for.  


What I Thought Of It - Five Observations/Reflections:
*With somewhat of a slow start, I was a bit nervous I wasn't going to enjoy the story.

*I did find the world of authors, publishers, and story ideas fascinating and engaging.

*Once the "plot" took hold, I could not stop reading.  There were a few slow spots, but overall the events unfolded at an excellent pace.  

*The mystery of who was sending Jacob the messages kept me on the edge of my seat.

*All I can say, is I NEVER saw the ending that came. WOW!  


Who Should Read It:
*I do think most adult readers would find this a great summer read.  The novel is also for all the "nerdy" readers out there who love reading about authors, publishers, and the world in which they live.  Happy Reading!  


Rating:
  4 STARS out of 5 Stars






No comments:

Post a Comment