Fourth Grade Journey

A Fourth Grade Teacher's Journey Through the World of Books

Saturday, June 12, 2021

The Best Worst Summer by Elizabeth Eulberg

How I Heard About It:
*This was another middle-grade story that came to me via #bookexpedition.  The novel was released at the beginning of May 2021.  Even though I have to pass the book on to the next reader, I know I will be adding the title to my classroom library.


What It Is About - FIVE Things You Need to Know:

*Peyton has just had to move from Minneapolis to a small northern Minnesota town.

*Lucas is a boy who has lived in the small town for most of his life and is considered the "nerd" of the school.  

*Melissa lived in the small town back in 1989 until she and her mother had to make drastic changes.

*Jessica is Melissa's best friend and has been for as long as they can remember until events in 1989 may change all that.

*When Peyton finds a box buried in her new backyard, all four lives will be connected spanning the many years.


What I Thought Of It - Five Observations/Reflections:
*My summer is off to a great reading start.  Another story I enjoyed while on vacation in Mexico.

*I loved how the two time periods were connected and tied together.

*There were powerful messages of friendship between all four characters.

*Not only did the characters drive the story, but the mystery of the "code" was also a strong aspect of what kept me turning page after page.

*I live in Minnesota so all the local references were fun to read about and I can tell you the author did her research.


Who Should Read It:
*I will be adding the book to my fourth grade classroom library, but can also see it being used in grades five, six and middle-school.  There is something in the story for all young-readers.  Would make for a great class read aloud or to book-talk for individuals to experience.  Happy Reading!


Rating:
  4 STARS out of 5 Stars


No comments:

Post a Comment