Fourth Grade Journey

A Fourth Grade Teacher's Journey Through the World of Books

Tuesday, June 29, 2021

The Troubled Girls of Dragomir Academy by Anne Ursu

How I Heard About It:
*This ARC came to me via my Twitter #bookexpedition reading group.  I'm a huge fan of Anne Ursu and everything she writes.  I was quite excited to sit down and see what she had in store for me with her newest work of fiction.


What It Is About - FIVE Things You Need to Know:
*Marya is practically invisible in her family.  All attention and focus goes toward her brother Luka, who is slated to become a sorcerer.

*Everything she does seems to only upset and bother her parents.  

*When testing day arrives, Marya is supposed to stay out of the way and not cause trouble.

*Nothing goes according to plan, and Marya finds herself being sent to the Dragonmir Academy for "troubled" girls.

*Once she arrives at the academy, she finds herself among other girls who all have their own story, past, and reason for being at the academy.


What I Thought Of It - Five Observations/Reflections:
*There is something quite special about Anne's writing.  

*She creates a story which draws the reader in and shares with them a world like no other.

*As I read, I was captivated by the mysteries of the country and what was truly going on at the academy.  

*The message of female power and strength was just one of many important themes presented in the story.  

*Marya not only fought for her own rights as a female, but for all the girls she was surrounded with.


Who Should Read It:
*As with most Anne Ursu novels, I would say readers should be in fifth grade and above.  Strong third and fourth grade readers would also be able to handle the content, language, and story.  I'm excited to add this new title to my classroom library.  Happy Reading!


Rating:
  4 STARS out of 5 Stars



No comments:

Post a Comment