Fourth Grade Journey

A Fourth Grade Teacher's Journey Through the World of Books

Saturday, June 5, 2021

Saint Ivy: Kind at All Costs by Laurie Morrison

How I Heard About It:
*I was lucky to receive this novel from the publisher.  I had read Laurie Morrison's first two novels so I was excited to read her third story and see what she came up with this time around.


What It Is About - FIVE Things You Need to Know:
*Ivy is a great young girl.  In fact, some may describe her as a saint.

*She always puts others before herself and prides herself on being there for everyone who needs her.


*When her mother announces she is pregnant and will be a surrogate, Ivy finds herself in a place she has never been in before.  

*As she tries to adjust to the news, she begins to receive emails from an anonymous source asking for advice and friendship.  

*Ivy finds herself on a course of changes both within her family and with the friends she surrounds herself with.


What I Thought Of It - Five Observations/Reflections:
*This was an enjoyable and heartfelt story.  

*There were many aspects of the plot that have not been covered in other middle-grade stories which was refreshing.  

*Ivy was a unique and interesting character to read about and get to know.  

*While reading, I did find myself skimming portions of the story that were not holding my attention.  

*Readers will gain a lot from Ivy's journey about family, friends, choices, and consequences.


Who Should Read It:
*I know educators and readers don't like to qualify stories as for boys or girls, but I do think this particular novel would be best suited for the female reader.  I think readers in grades four, five, and six would be perfect.  Middle-school students would also be ideal for the story.  Happy Reading!


Rating:
  3 STARS out of 5 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment