Fourth Grade Journey

A Fourth Grade Teacher's Journey Through the World of Books

Thursday, June 3, 2021

Finding Junie Kim by Ellen Oh

How I Heard About It:
*This new novel by Ellen Oh seems to be the "talk" of the spring reading season.  I was going to wait and buy a hard copy, but decided to download the audio version via Audible.  The listening experience was quite enjoyable and kept me company during the last couple weeks of school.


What It Is About - FIVE Things You Need to Know:
*At the start of a new school year, Junie Kim and her friends are faced head-on with racist comments left on the school walls.


*As she and her friends try to decide what they can do about the situation, Junie begins a journey into her grandfather and grandmother's early lives.

*While researching her grandparents' lives during the Korean War, Junie is not only surprised by the strength and courage they both showed, but learns she may posess those same qualities.  

*During this difficult start to a new school year, Junie is diagnosed with depression and she isn't sure how her parents or grandparents will handle the news.

*As a reader, I was presented with what racism looks like in present time and also getting a powerful and raw look into the Korean War.


What I Thought Of It - Five Observations/Reflections:
*With so much advanced praise, I went into the story with such high expectations.

*The writing was beautiful, descriptive, and incredible.

*I enjoyed how Ellen Oh was able to combine Junie's story along side her grandparents' experiences.  Both were real, raw, and authentic.

*At times, the details of the past got a bit long for me and I wondered if young readers would be able to stick with it.  

*I have not read that much about the Korean War so I found that aspect of the story interesting while also being horrified at the events of that time.


Who Should Read It:
*Because of the length and content of the story, I could see the novel being used in grades five and above.  The book is probably perfect for the middle-school reader.  I also think young adults and adults would be great pleasure and satisfaction with Junie Kim's life-changing events.  Happy Reading!


Rating:
  4 STARS out of 5 Stars


No comments:

Post a Comment