Fourth Grade Journey

A Fourth Grade Teacher's Journey Through the World of Books

Tuesday, June 29, 2021

The Buddhist on Death Row by David Sheff

How I Heard About It:
*I was actually walking around the pool area during my vacation to Mexico and I saw a young person reading this book.  I went back to my chair, did a bit of online research, and ordered the book.  The story was waiting for me when I returned home.


What It Is About - FIVE Things You Need to Know:

*Jarvis Jay Masters didn't have an easy life.  In fact, his early life was horrendous and full of heartache.


*Making one bad choice after another bad choice, Jarvis found himself in juvenile detention centers, jails, and finally ended up in San Quentin.  

*He was angry, resentful, and hated the world around him.  There was no sense of peace.

*After a prison guard is murdered, Jarvis is sentenced to death row.  

*During this time, he spends time with a variety of people, who show him the whole other side of living a full, peaceful, and meaningful life.


What I Thought Of It - Five Observations/Reflections:
*I knew nothing of this book before seeing it poolside in Mexico.

*I do love memoir, but this was written by Sheff about Masters and his transformation.

*The journey Jarvis took was fascinating, eye-opening, and incredible.

*As I was reading, I found myself thinking more and more about meditation and trying to bring more peace to my own life.  

*Reading about Buddhism and the impact it can have on a person's life was quite extraordinary.


Who Should Read It:
*The reader by the pool appeared to be in high school so I'm wondering if this was required reading for him.  I would say the story would be appropriate for the high-school, college, and adult reader.  Everyone will take something from the story and apply it to their own life.  


Rating:
  4 STARS out of 5 Stars







No comments:

Post a Comment