Fourth Grade Journey

A Fourth Grade Teacher's Journey Through the World of Books

Tuesday, June 29, 2021

Pony by R.J. Palacio

How I Heard About It:
*This ARC came to me at about 1:30 PM on Monday, June 28th.  I finished and closed the book later that same night.  This is one of the BEST stories I've ever read. I can't wait to share the amazing tale with my fourth graders during the 2021/2022 school year.


What It Is About - FIVE Things You Need to Know:
*Silas lives out in the middle of nowhere with his father.  It has just been the two of them since Silas' mother died.

*During the middle of the night, some men arrive on horseback and demand that Silas' father come with them to meet their "boss".

*Silas is to remain at the cabin and wait for his father's return.

*He doesn't stay and ventures out to find his father and the men who took him.  He takes along his "friend" Mittenwool, and the new horse who appeared before them.

*While out in the woods, Silas meets a marshall and the two of them begin an adventure to find both the good and bad men in the world.


What I Thought Of It - Five Observations/Reflections:
*When the book arrived, I wondered how it would compare to Wonder.  It doesn't compare to Wonder.  It stands completely on its own.

*Once I started reading, I could NOT stop.  

*I was moved emotionally on several occasions while reading and couldn't believe the story R.J. Palacio had created.  

*There were so many warm and touching moments during Silas' journey that I found myself literally "gasping" out loud.  

*This may have become my new favorite middle-grade story of "all-time."  It is simply AMAZING!!!


Who Should Read It:
*EVERYONE!!!  Happy Reading!


Rating:
  5+ STARS out of 5 Stars


No comments:

Post a Comment