Fourth Grade Journey

A Fourth Grade Teacher's Journey Through the World of Books

Friday, June 28, 2019

Honeybees and Frenemies by Kristi Wientge

How I Heard About It:  This beautiful novel came to me via the publisher.  I was taken by the cover and title.  I brought this along on a summer vacation and completely enjoyed it.  


What It Is About - FIVE Things You Need to Know:  
1.  *Flor and Brooke are best of friends and can't wait to enjoy their summer vacation together.  When Brooke goes off to camp, Flor isn't sure what that means for her summer.  

2.  *When a pageant opportunity forces Florence to enter, she isn't thrilled.  She is especially concerned after being paired with her "enemy" Candice.  


3.  *The two girls must work together to perform a talent.  They both have personal reasons for entering the pageant and have to decide what it is they are going to do to WIN because there is a monetary reward.  

4.  *The girls get paired up with Mr. Henry who is the crabby rich man up on the hill.  After some manual work, they become interested in his Bee raising and collection.  

5.  *They take this new Bee knowledge with their ambition, while letting go of their past issues to forge forward, to win grand prize of the HONEY pageant.  


What I Thought Of It - Five Observations/Reflections:
1.  *While I thought this was going to be a story about "frenemies", it was so much more than that.  

2.   *The story of Florence and her family was thoughtful, tender, and real.  I liked that they had real life problems and that those issues affected each member of the family differently.  

3.  *I also liked how Candice was presented as the "enemy" but turned out to be so much more.  

4.  *Mr. Henry was a fascinating character and I enjoyed reading about his back story.  He sure was multifaceted.  

5.  *The topics of bees and "beards" was a new one to me and I was fascinated by the ins and outs of this "industry".  


Who Should Read It:    The story of Flor, Candice, and even Brooke was one that I know many young readers will enjoy.  The plot, characters, and emotions of the story have so much to offer children.  The novel would be appropriate for kids in grades four through six.  I also know that adult readers that read middle-grade novels would also enjoy the story.  Happy Reading!  


Rating:   4 STARS out of 5 Stars!

No comments:

Post a Comment