Fourth Grade Journey

A Fourth Grade Teacher's Journey Through the World of Books

Thursday, June 20, 2019

Me and Sam-Sam Handle the Apocalypse by Susan Vaught

How I Heard About It:  I know I have seen readers commenting and chatting online about this new middle-grade novel.  I was thrilled when I received a copy of the book from the publisher.  This today's #bookaday.  


What It Is About - FIVE Things You Need to Know:  
1.  *Jesse (spelled with the male version because of her uncle) doesn't necessary fit in at school, but she sure has a special spot with her little four-legged friend Sam-Sam.

2.  *Jesse lives with her school teacher father and her great aunt Gus.  Her mother is in the military and is deployed far from home.  


3.  *Because of Jesse being "different", she doesn't have any friends.  That is why she is thrilled when she meets Springer in her special "clubhouse" out in the woods.  The two of them share similarities with their personalities, tendencies, and social interactions.  

4.  *After Jesse's father is accused and arrested for stealing money from the school, she and Springer decide to take on the investigation on their own and find the real culprit.  

5.  *The two of them must face the three "jerk-faces", some high-school kids, and even some administrators during their quest for the truth.  


What I Thought Of It - Five Observations/Reflections:
1.  *What I noticed right from the get-go was the format of the story.  The plot is told from two time periods.  The first one is the present time during a storm; while the second one is the prior seven days.

2.  *I was taken in by Jesse and her personality, likes/dislikes, and how she interacted with the other characters.  

3.  *I'm so glad that Susan Vaught decided to include Springer in the story.  He was such a special young boy and brought so much to Jesse's life.

4.  *The story had so many rich aspects to it:  relationships, acceptance, strength, and friendship.

5.  *There is a mystery to the story which was intriguing, but I found the connections that the characters had really drove the entire plot.  


Who Should Read It:    I know that I will book-talk this novel in the fall of 2019.  I think it is perfect for fourth grade readers.  Strong third grade readers could also handle the story.  Of course, fifth and sixth graders would enjoy the story just as much.  Happy Reading!  


Rating:   5 STARS out of 5 Stars!

No comments:

Post a Comment