Fourth Grade Journey

A Fourth Grade Teacher's Journey Through the World of Books

Monday, June 10, 2019

The Light Jar by Lisa Thompson

How I Heard About It:  I loved The Goldfish Boy by Lisa Thompson so I was thrilled when I received her newest novel from the publisher.  The cover is gorgeous and I love the title.  I went into the story with much anticipation.  


What It Is About - FIVE Things You Need to Know:  
1.  *In the middle of the night, Nate finds himself in an old run-down shack with his mother.  They are running from Gary, his mother's boyfriend.  

2.  *Nate's mother hasn't shared much with Nate, but he knows things at home were not great.  He isn't thrilled about his new "home", but hopes it is better than where they were.  


3.  *After a day or two in the "cabin", Nate's mother heads out to get some supplies and doesn't return.  This leaves Nate alone, confused, and scared.  

4.  *He has no idea where his mother is, but he knows he must stay strong, stay put, and stay focused on surviving on his own.  

5.  *Nate finds some comfort in "friends" Sam and Kitty who support him and appreciate the support he offers to them.  


What I Thought Of It - Five Observations/Reflections:
1.  *I loved this story from the get-go.  It was a fascinating and riveting story.  

2.  *The mystery of why Nate and his mother were on the run was a major focus of the plot, but there were several sub-plots that added greatly to the overall story.

3.  *I was quite shocked when Nate's mother disappeared and while reading tried to figure out where she was and why she left.  

4.  *Sam and Kitty were incredible friends to Nate and added more than a surprise or two.  

5.  *The tone and mood of the story was a bit "dark", but I was still able to get a sense of hope throughout the pages and events that Nate experienced.  


Who Should Read It:   Because of some of the content and subject matter, in my opinion I would say the story is most appropriate for a fifth and/or sixth grade reader.  That being said, the book could also be, and should be, read by the middle school reader.  If you read The Goldfish Boy, then I think you will enjoy Lisa Thompson's newest work of fiction.  Happy Reading!  


Rating:   4 STARS out of 5 Stars!



No comments:

Post a Comment