Fourth Grade Journey

A Fourth Grade Teacher's Journey Through the World of Books

Saturday, June 15, 2019

Shine by J. J. and Chris Grabenstein

How I Heard About It:  Over the years I've gotten to know several publishing reps during different conventions.  One of my favorites is from Penguin Random House.  It is always a thrill when I see her on the convention floor.  We have great conversations and she always sends me away with a handful of new books.  She recently sent me this ARC with a personal rave review.  

What It Is About - FIVE Things You Need to Know:  
1.  *Piper and her father both attend the public school.  Piper doesn't think she has many talents, but her father is the director of a singing group with aspirations to write a Broadway show.  

2.  *Piper's mother was also a "star" with talents, but died she Piper was young.

3.  *When Piper's father gets a new position at a prestigious private school, he brings Piper along because she can attend for free.  

4.  *Piper finds it difficult to fit in with the new crowd and tries to remain tied to her former crowd.

5.  *As she finds new friends who "get" her, Piper makes it her mission to "SHINE" and become someone that her father, her mother, and she can be proud of.  


What I Thought Of It - Five Observations/Reflections:
1.  *I pretty much love everything that Chris Grabenstein does.  It was interesting to learn that this newest novel was written in partnership with his wife.  After reading this wonderful story, I hope they have more projects planned to write together.  

2.  *The story of Piper, her father, and everyone she comes in contact with was engaging, thought-provoking, and quite entertaining.  

3.  *I enjoyed that the chapters were short.  I think this is an important element for young readers.  Actually, even as an adult reader, I prefer novels with short chapters.  

4.  *The theme of everyone "shining" was presented in a new and fresh way.  I know young readers will be able to relate to Piper and the other characters as well.  

5.  *One of the best aspects of the story was the antagonist for Piper.  Every reader loves to "hate" that one character.  


Who Should Read It:   This novel comes out in November 2019 and it is absolutely perfect for every reader in grades three through six.  It would also make for a great read aloud in grades two through six.  I personally can't wait to share the novel with my new fourth grade class next fall.  Happy Reading!  


Rating:   5 STARS out of 5 Stars!

3 comments:

  1. So glad you liked it Patrick! We should do a Skype visit with your 4th graders next year. If you are interested, send an email to Lindsey Kimery who is helping us put together our calendar: visits@ChrisGrabenstein.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. That would be awesome Chris. I don't know if you remember, but we Skyped with you years ago and it is still one of my favorite Skypes. I will get in contact with Lindsey. Loved Shine. Such an important and meaningful story.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think we Skyped way back in 2013! Wow. Where is time flying too?

      Delete