Fourth Grade Journey

A Fourth Grade Teacher's Journey Through the World of Books

Tuesday, June 18, 2019

Tree of Dreams by Laura Resau

How I Heard About It:  I knew nothing of this book, but when I received a copy in the mail from the publisher, I was curious about both the title and the cover.  This was my #bookaday for Monday, June 17, 2019.  

What It Is About - FIVE Things You Need to Know:  
1.  *Coco has the perfect name.  She loves chocolate and works in her mother's chocolate shop.  

2.  *She and her best friend, well former BF, had a falling out; but both share a love of chocolate, candy, and creations.  

3.  *When a chocolate making contest hits town, both Coco and Leo enter.

4.  *To their surprise, they both win.  The grand prize is a trip to the Amazon Rain Forest.  

5.  *At first, it appears it will be a pleasure trip with their moms.  After reaching their destination, both Coco and Leo realize there are people, trees, and world issues that need their attention and help.


What I Thought Of It - Five Observations/Reflections:
1.  *I was drawn into the story right away because of the chocolate and candy store focus.  I have a HUGE sweet tooth.  I loved the descriptions of the different chocolate creations.

2.  *The relationship between Coco and Leo was well developed and I enjoyed reading about their journey from former friends to two young people who come together to solve some pretty big problems.

3.  *I enjoyed the character of the grandfather and learning about his back story.  Plus, his character brought a surprise or two for Coco and Leo.

4.  *The setting of the rain forest was described in such vivid detail that I could picture myself right there in the center of things.  

5.  *In my opinion, it is important for young readers to experience stories when children can make an impact and/or difference on the world in which they live.  


Who Should Read It:    After reading Tree of Dreams, I think it would be best to put the novel in the hands of a fifth and/or sixth grade reader.  The story is long at over 300 pages.  The chapters are also long in length.  The reader should definitely have some strong reading stamina.  Middle-school readers would also be able to relate to the characters of Coco and Leo.  Happy Reading!  


Rating:   4 STARS out of 5 Stars!

1 comment: