Fourth Grade Journey

A Fourth Grade Teacher's Journey Through the World of Books

Wednesday, June 19, 2019

Orange for the Sunsets by Tina Athaide

How I Heard About It:  I have been following the many positive and rave reviews about this new middle-grade novel.  I was thrilled when I received it in the mail and couldn't wait to open the book and read the story for myself.  I'm participating in Donalyn Miller's #bookaday and this particular novel was literally a book a day since I started and finished the entire novel yesterday.

What It Is About - FIVE Things You Need to Know:  
1.  *Asha is a young Indian girl living in Uganda in 1972.  Her family is well off and she is enjoying her life and friendship with Yesofu.

2.  *Yesofu is African and not as well off as Asha's family.  His mother works for his family.  Despite their differences, Yesofu and Asha are the best of friends.  

3.  *In 1972, Idi Amin has taken control of Uganda and has major plans for the country.  He wants all Indians out of his country in ninety days.  Asha and her family hope that doesn't include them.  

4.  *As the ninety days progress, Asha and Yesofu's friendship is put to the test because of the conflicts in their country and their loyalty to each other.  

5.  *Each much make some difficult choices and take action to not only defend their own identity, but the identity of their best friend.  


What I Thought Of It - Five Observations/Reflections:
1.  *I was about five years old in 1972, but I do remember hearing the name Idi Amin in the news.  I didn't know much about this time and "event" in history, so this reading experience was fascinating.  

2.  *Once I began the story, I had a very hard time stopping.  I was drawn into both Asha and Yesofu's  lives and what they were dealing with.  

3.  *As a reader, I enjoy short chapters in both middle-grade and adult novels.  I know my own students think the same way.  I'm not sure why this is, but it makes the reading experience go faster and more smoothly.  I also find myself saying "one more chapter".  

4.  *It was disturbing and horrific to read about real events in this fictional account of life in Uganda during 1972.  I could feel the conflict and struggle with both Asha and Yesofu.  

5.  The story contained a wide variety of characters from those that are heart-warming and endearing to those the reader has a hard time reading about.  The characters made this story TICK!  


Who Should Read It:    I'm already thinking of sharing this novel with my fourth graders during our historical fiction unit.  I know they will be as absorbed in the plot as I was.  The book would be appropriate to share in grades four through six as well as middle-school.  I also know that adults that enjoy middle-grade stories will absolutely love this story as much as I did.  Happy Reading!  


Rating:   5 STARS out of 5 Stars!

No comments:

Post a Comment