Fourth Grade Journey

A Fourth Grade Teacher's Journey Through the World of Books

Saturday, April 29, 2023

Dreaming of Flight by Catherine Ryan Hyde

How I Heard About It:
*While browsing Audible for my next audio book, I came across this title.  The cover and title caught my attention and after a bit of research I decided I would buy the title and listen to the story during my drives to and from work each day.  Boy, am I glad I did.


What It Is About - FIVE Things You Need to Know:
*Stewie Little never knew his parents.  He is being raised by his older sister and brother.  

*Stewie is not doing well after the loss of his Gram.

*He wants to continue his gram's legacy by selling eggs to the locals around town.  

*One day he knocks on the door of Marilyn and feels like he has found his "Gram".

*The elderly lady and the lost little boy begin a friendship that will change both of their lives in ways they could never have imagined.  


What I Thought Of It - Five Observations/Reflections:
*This was a powerful, emotional, and heart-felt story.

*It hit home in many ways because I lost my own mother to the horrific disease of Alzheimer's.

*I loved the character of Stewie.  He was a sweet, lovable, and type of young person you would want to have in your own life.

*Marilyn was also quite the character; full of life, secrets, and a great big heart.  

*The narration was enjoyable and the story flowed with such ease that I often found myself sitting in the car wanting to listen to more.


Who Should Read It:
*This novel published for adults would appeal to all readers.  I know it makes for a great audio read and would assume reading the actual novel would be just as enjoyable.  This will be a story I won't soon forget.  All the "feels" were felt while listening.  Happy Reading!


Rating:
   5 STARS out of 5 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment