Fourth Grade Journey

A Fourth Grade Teacher's Journey Through the World of Books

Saturday, August 8, 2015

Crenshaw by Katherine Applegate...

How I Heard About It:   A few weeks ago I requested this "much talked about" novel via Net Galley.  I knew it was in high demand, but I thought it was worth a shot.  I didn't get any reply back for quite some time.  While on my family summer vacation last week, I checked my email while on an island and saw that I had gotten an ARC from Net Galley.  I was so excited and downloaded it to my Kindle right away.  Once I was back on the ship, I started this story right away.  

What It Is About:  Jackson and his family have not always had the best of luck.  When he was in first grade they became homeless and had to live in their mini-van for a time.  It was during this time that Crenshaw showed up in Jackson's life.  Crenshaw is a very large cat and happens to be Jackson's imaginary friend.  A few years later, Crenshaw shows up again when Jackson's family may be facing the same "money" issues they had in the past.  Jackson isn't sure he can face the idea of losing their home again and wants to do everything he can to prevent it from happening.  He leans on his old "friend" Crenshaw to help him and his family out.  

What I Thought Of It:  As I mentioned, I received this ARC during my cruise with my family.  I downloaded it to my Kindle while on an island and began reading as soon as I got back on the ship.  I was so excited to read this story because of all the positive "pre-press" I had been seeing.  From the moment I began the book, I knew it was going to be special.  I couldn't stop reading.  My family was a bit annoyed when I made us late to dinner one night because I just wanted to read a bit more.  This was a beautiful story of friendship, family, and the power of our imagination.  I LOVED it!  

Who Should Read It:  EVERYONE!  

Rating:  5+ STARS out of 5 Stars


No comments:

Post a Comment