Fourth Grade Journey

A Fourth Grade Teacher's Journey Through the World of Books

Saturday, August 22, 2015

The Life and Times of Jamie Lee Coleman by Michael E. Glasscock...

How I Heard About It:   I received an ARC from Net Galley quite awhile ago.  I didn't get to the novel until my summer family vacation.  I'm really glad I read this book because I quite enjoyed it.  

What It Is About:  This is the story of Jamie Lee Coleman.  It is told in first person.  The novel follows the life of Jamie from when he was a little boy until the later years of his life.  The beginning of his life was quite difficult.  His family was extremely poor and lived in a little shack in the south.  Jamie's father was an alcoholic and abusive toward him and his mother.  After taking enough abuse, Jamie runs away and vows never to return.  His luck comes from an elderly lady who takes him in and raises him as her own.  She sees a musical talent in Jamie that even Jamie didn't know he had.  She fosters this talent and it has a huge impact on the rest of his life.  He also spends time living with another gentlemen who is a lawyer.  Both of these adults were positive influences on him.  After a tragic event with his mother and father, Jamie runs away again.  This time he is sixteen, but portrays himself to the world as an adult.  Jamie spends time in Memphis and New Orleans with a variety of characters while he pursues his love of country music.  After many years of hard work, great luck, and high morals, he makes it big in the music industry.  Of course not every thing always works out the way we want and Jamie is a man with high standards and refuses to settle for anything less.

What I Thought Of It:  I really enjoyed this story.  I guess it is part of a collection of Novels by Glasscock with some of the same characters showing up in the different books.  This was a typical rags to riches story, but Jamie was such a likable and awesome character that it created a different feel to the story.  As much as I enjoyed the plot, there were times when I was bothered by the style of writing.  At times it seems very "elementary" and basic.  This didn't get in the way of enjoying the story.  Maybe at some point I will check out the other novels in this "collection."  

Who Should Read It:   I think most adult readers would enjoy this story.  It moves along quickly and isn't difficult to read.  As I mentioned, it isn't the best writing in the world, but the plot is engaging and enjoyable.  Give it a try!  Happy Reading...

Rating:  4 STARS out of 5 Stars




No comments:

Post a Comment