Fourth Grade Journey

A Fourth Grade Teacher's Journey Through the World of Books

Friday, June 17, 2016

Friend Friday #144 (I'll Give You the Sun by Jandy Nelson)

Hi!  I'm Max and I read the book called I'll Give You the Sun written by Jandy Nelson.


I think this book is brilliant because it seamlessly blends the themes of coming of age, artistic expression and the trials and tribulations of being a young adult.  


My favorite part in the story is when the author describes the art that the character Noah sees and creates because the descriptions are the equivalent of the 1,000 words that a picture is worth.  




The character that I liked best was Noah because the author brings him to life in a way that makes me want to laugh and cry along with him.  


I think the author wrote this book because readers of all ages need to experience this story to empathize with young adults and not forget how difficult, rewarding, and exhausting growing up can be.  


I would recommend this book to our friends because it is a happy-sad page turner that leaves you wanting more.  It's one of those books that you cannot put down but you never want to end.    


Reading to me is a wonderful hallucination because where else can marks and symbols on a piece of paper lead your brain to such wonderfully vivid places.   


*Max is a co-worker of mine.
*He is one of our ELL teachers and he and I did some co-teaching this year.
*One of the things we love to talk about is books.  
*Max is much younger than me and has three little kids so doesn't have as much time to read as I do.
*This was one novel he read this past school year and loved it as much as I did.  
*Thanks Max for contributing to the ReadWonder blog!  





No comments:

Post a Comment