Fourth Grade Journey

A Fourth Grade Teacher's Journey Through the World of Books

Tuesday, June 14, 2016

we are the ants by Shaun David Hutchinson

How I Heard About It:  This novel has been on my radar since its release at the beginning of 2016.  It was written up in several publications and was getting rave reviews from readers.  Recently I downloaded it via the 3M Cloud Library to my iPad.  I'm trying to watch my book budget so I've been using this app more and more.  

What It Is About:  This is not an easy story to summarize.  The plot is part science-fiction, part realistic fiction, part coming of age, and all consuming wonderful reading experience.  Henry is trying to get through high school after his boyfriend has taken his life.  He isn't sure why Jesse decided to end his life, but blames himself.  Henry has a keen interest in the sciences and has shared with his family and close friends that he has been "abducted" by aliens.   These aliens have given him a choice.  There is a button that he can push that will save the end of the world.  Because of everything that is going on in his life, Henry isn't sure he wants to save the world. He feels he just might be better off if the world were to come to an end.  To cover up his pain of losing Jess, he begins a dysfunctional "relationship" with the high school stud and popular boy.  He is also trying to adjust to losing his friend Audrey after Jesse's death because they each put blame on themselves and each other.  Just when Henry thinks he has made his final decision about the state of of the world, in walks a new boy named Diego.  Diego is running from his past and trying to start a new life.  He turns Henry's world upside down and makes him confront his past, his present, and his future.  

What I Thought Of It:  After trying to summarize this story, I feel like I didn't do the greatest job.  There was so much going on in this story and I find it hard to put into words.  The telling of Henry's story was superb and the writing was absolutely beautiful.  As I was reading the book I felt like I was in the story with these unique, strong, and real characters.  I could feel what each of them were going through and what they were trying to accomplish.  To be honest, I was confused at first with the sci-fi aspects of the plot, but as I read more and more I began to come up with my own conclusions and thoughts about what was going on.  This was a book that kept me reading late into the night and not being able to put it down.  I look forward to reading other works by this author.  

Who Should Read It:  This story is perfect for the young-adult and adult reader.  There are so many aspects of the story that high school readers will be able to relate to.  I also know that adult readers will be drawn to the story line and cast of incredible characters.  Happy Reading!  

Rating:  5 STARS out of 5 Stars



No comments:

Post a Comment