Fourth Grade Journey

A Fourth Grade Teacher's Journey Through the World of Books

Friday, August 5, 2016

The Distance to Home by Jenn Bishop

How I Heard About It:  Many of my Twitter friends have been chatting about this novel for quite some time.  During one of my summer book orderings I added this title.  I was excited to read it and see what all the positive chatter was about.  

What It Is About:  The story is told in a wonderful format.  The chapters alternate between "this summer" and "last summer".  Many things have changed for Quinnen between the two summers.  During the first summer she was the star player on a baseball team and all of her focus went toward that sport.  She also idealized her older sister Haley.  Quinnen isn't thrilled when Haley meets a boy and begins to spend more and more time with him.  After the family suffers a loss they take in a player from a minor league team while they are playing in town.  Quinnen hopes this player can fill the void that has inflicted her family.  She befriends another player from this team and the two of them learn much from each other.  As much as Quinnen fights going back to her baseball team during the second summer, she knows that is where she is truly happy.  She just wants to find the happiness that she once had.  

What I Thought Of It:  Summer time was the best time to read this story since it took place over two different summers.  The focus is on a girl and her passion for baseball and that is also perfect timing to read the book.  The story gave me a couple of hours of enjoyment this afternoon.  This was such a sweet and touching story.  I enjoyed the alternating chapters between the two summers.  It was the perfect way to tell this story.  I'm not a huge baseball fan, but I enjoyed learning more about the sport by reading about the two baseball teams that were shared in the book.  

Who Should Read It:  This novel would be perfect for so many different readers.  I could see an athletic female loving it for the sports focus.  I could see a young female that has a sister enjoying it.  I could see a male reader getting into the story because of the baseball theme and the various male characters that are presented in the story.  The book would make for a strong class read aloud.  The reading level would be appropriate for students in grades three, four, and five.  Happy Reading!  

Rating:  4 STARS out of 5 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment