Fourth Grade Journey

A Fourth Grade Teacher's Journey Through the World of Books

Thursday, July 3, 2014

Absolutely Almost by Lisa Graff...

How I Heard About It:  It is always so exciting to finally get my hands on a book that I've been waiting for.  This was one of those novels.  I kept hearing about this title via Twitter and seeing how much readers were enjoying it.  

What It Is About:  Albie is a young boy living in New York City with his parents.  He has some learning difficulties which makes school very hard for him.  As much as his parents try to help him, things just don't seem to go well for Albie.  He does have a best friend that lives in his building, but the kids at school don't understand Albie.  He gets a new nanny named Calista and the two of them bond and create a special relationship.  Calista helps Albie both in his school life and his home life.  There is a short period of time when Albie is accepted at school by the "popular" kids, but he learns he is accepted for all the wrong reasons.  One of his few friends named Betsy waits for him patiently to learn the true meaning of friendship.  


What I Thought Of It:  This book did not disappoint.  It has been called the new Wonder, and I completely agree.  Albie is a character that I won't soon forget.  I enjoyed how the chapters were short and almost like "mini" little stories within the novel itself.  As I read the book, I kept rooting for Albie and his success.  I liked how he was an individual and the people he surrounded himself with, were the same way.  The writing was pitch-perfect and the story warmed my heart.  I enjoyed each and every page.  This will be a novel that I will be telling everyone about!  


Who Should Read It:  This would make for the perfect read aloud in an elementary classroom.  In my opinion it would be best suited for children in grades three through five.  I know young readers would fall in love with Albie just like I did.  If a student is going to read this on their own, they should probably be in grades four or higher.  Adult reader will also enjoy this novel as much as the young readers.  Happy Reading!  

Rating:  5 STARS out of 5 Stars 

No comments:

Post a Comment