Fourth Grade Journey

A Fourth Grade Teacher's Journey Through the World of Books

Tuesday, July 29, 2014

Comics Squad: Recess! by Various Authors...

How I Heard About It:  It seems like this book has been talked about for over a year.  Many of my Twitter "pals" raved about this new graphic novel that was going to be released this summer.  I finally got my hands on it and was excited to see what all the fuss was about.  

What It Is About:  This is a graphic novel, but different from other graphic novels because it is a collection of short stories by a variety of authors.  All of the stories have "recess" as their theme.  Many of the stories are well known like Babymouse, LunchLady, and several others.  Each story has a "mini-adventure" that is similar to the longer individual graphic novel books.

What I Thought Of It:  Comics Squad:  Recess  was a completely enjoyable read.  I can now see what all the "fuss" was about.  This collection of stories lived up to all the hype.  I loved how the book centered around the theme of recess.  It was also fun to visit past characters from many different graphic novels.  After finishing the book, I knew it was going to be a hit in my classroom.  

Who Should Read It:  If you (or a student) likes graphic novels, then this is definitely a book you need in your collection.  This particular book would be perfect for a third, fourth, or fifth grade classroom.  Having multiple copies of it would be great because it needs to be in the hands of the reader so they can take in all the awesome graphics along with the text.  I'm so excited to "book talk" this new book to my students this fall.  

Rating:  5 STARS out of 5 Stars 



No comments:

Post a Comment