Fourth Grade Journey

A Fourth Grade Teacher's Journey Through the World of Books

Tuesday, April 14, 2020

How to Make Friends With the Sea by Tanya Guerrero

How I Heard About It:
*I'm embarrassed to say, but I actually picked up an ARC of this novel during last November's NCTE.  I finally took it out of my stack and got busy reading. 


What It Is About - FIVE Things You Need to Know:

1.  *The reader will join young Pablo in the Philippines.

2.  *He is there with his mother who is working there with the native animals.


3.  *Pablo has tried to move forward from his parent's divorce, but he can seem to let go of the disappointment he is sure he has brought to his father.  

4.  *The more "secrets" Pablo keeps to himself, the more he begins to realize he may have some serious issues/problems.

5.  *He is sure these issues will only grow worse when his mother takes in a young girl with her own personal struggles. 
 

What I Thought Of It - Five Observations/Reflections:
1.  *I was first drawn into the story by the beautiful cover.  I thought the title was creative, unique, and tempting for the reader.

2.  *I was also drawn into the pages, by the "voice" of Pablo.  For some reason, I could relate and empathize with him.

3.  *As many weaknesses as he may thought he had, he also possessed just as many strengths.  

4.  *While reading I was both fascinated and interested in the unique characters and beautiful setting.

5.  *Tanya Guerrero did a phenomenal job of taking the reader on Pablo's journey to self discovery and growth. 


Who Should Read It:

*The novel is a bit longer at about 350 pages so I would imagine the reader of the book should be in grades five and/or above.  Younger strong readers would also be able to handle the length of the story.  I think it would be ideal for upper elementary and middle-school readers.  Happy Reading! 


Rating:   4 STARS out of 5 Stars 

No comments:

Post a Comment